Annie Chang Lee
Annie is an experienced health care litigator and advisor. She regularly represents hospitals, medical staffs, and health systems in matters relating to peer review from start to finish - from the initial recommended action, to the peer review hearing, to the appeal to the Board of Directors, and to the Writ of Mandate in court. Annie regularly counsels clients on NPDB and Business and Professions Code 805 Reports, physician credentialing, peer review hearing procedures, state licensing, Medicare certification, Joint Commission accreditation, EMTALA (the federal law prohibiting “patient-dumping”). Annie also drafts and revises medical staff bylaws, rules & regulations, and provider services agreements. Annie helps clients respond to Medical Board subpoenas in relation to 805 Reports – she has responded to over thirty Medical Board subpoenas (and counting).
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Annie worked at a boutique health care law firm in Southern California focusing on complex civil litigation cases involving health care reimbursement issues. Annie represented major health care providers in state and federal civil actions, arbitrations, mediations, and settlement negotiations. She litigated issues such as the interpretation of California's Knox-Keene Act, ERISA, the federal Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, the Affordable Care Act, California's Business & Professions Code § 17200, third party liability claims, provider actions under the Hospital Lien Act, the Government Tort Claims Act, as well as general contract/business disputes.
Prior to that, she was a post-bar law clerk at the California Attorney General's Office. During law school, Annie was the Executive Editor of the San Diego Law Review, a Legal Writing teaching assistant, and a research assistant for law professors. She was also a judicial extern for the Honorable Michael M. Anello in the Southern District of California, and was a law clerk at both the US Attorney's Office in the Southern District of California, and the US Department of State in Washington, DC.
Annie is a member of the American Bar Association, the American Health Lawyers Association, and the California Society of Health Care Attorneys.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Annie’s articles and publications include:
- Presenter, Medical Staff Leaders and the Law Seminar, February 3, 2017 (Costa Mesa, CA)
- Presenter, California Association of Medical Staff Services Long Beach Chapter 18th Annual Education Conference, October 14, 2016 (Torrance, CA)
- “The Broadening Definition of Elder Abuse," California Healthcare News; October 11, 2016
- Presenter, Medical Staff Leaders and the Law Seminar, February 5, 2016 (Costa Mesa, CA)
- "CMS Finalizes Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement (QAPI) Worksheets," California Healthcare News; January 7, 2016
- Presenter, California Association of Medical Staff Services Long Beach Chapter 17th Annual Education Conference, October 16, 2015 (Torrance, CA)
Life Beyond the Law
Annie is an “I Love Lucy” fanatic and loves travelling. She also enjoys gardening, yoga, and reading in coffee shops. Annie is fluent in Mandarin.
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- US Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Eastern District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
University of San Diego School of LawJD,2012University of California, IrvineBA,2007